Monday, June 7, 2010

Four Weeks Old!

It's really hard for me to believe that Lydie is almost a month old! What a whirlwind! In these first weeks, we have gotten to know a little bit about our girl.

First of all, she is a cuddle bug. She wants to be held every moment that she is awake, and really she prefers to be held while she sleeps, too. Thankfully, however, she is doing a pretty great job at sleeping in her crib at night and will usually take one nap a day in there too. She also loves to sleep in her Ergo baby carrier. It has become our fail safe if Lydie is having trouble falling asleep or gets cranky while we are out... just pop her in and she's content.

Lydie LOVES tummy time! She starts out lifting her little head to look at me while she practices her "crawling" and after she is worn out will just lay around for a few minutes. She always releases a lot of gas during tummy time, so I think it actually makes her feel better too!


She does not like to have her hands confined. This means that we have to swaddle her right below her arms so that she can flail them around while she sleeps (hilarious).


She has been a great eater from day 1. We tried to nurse within 15 minutes of her arrival, she latched right on and away we went...

...this means that she is also a great pooper. We have at least one diaper blow out a day. Last night she was wearing a onesie and Mike was holding her in the kitchen when it happened. I was pumping in the living room when I heard it. There was a long pause and Mike started laughing hysterically and yelling, "Oh My God, Oh My God..." It got all over Lydia, Mike's shirt, pants, and shoes, and all over the floor. Thank goodness they weren't standing over the white carpet!

Unfortunately, my baby has reflux! We had two nights that she hardly slept and she just wailed around the clock. She would scream while she was eating and would make this weird gagging/swallowing noise. We took her to her pediatrician and now she is on some medicine for it. We also had to prop her crib up on one side so that her head can be slightly elevated while she sleeps. Since her first dose, she has returned to sleeping well at night and happily eats!

So, Lydie has A LOT of hair for a baby which prompted me to get out the blow dryer one evening when she was chilly. She went from crying and shivering to happily laying around and waving her arms and legs the minute I turned it on. So, now she gets her entire body blow dried after every bath. I just turn on the low, warm setting and I can get all her little hard to dry spots like her fanny and her neck.

Just this week we have started to give Lydie a bottle. The first attempt was a total bust and made her really mad, but last night she drank an entire bottle from her Daddy! YES! Freedom! Don't get me wrong, I'm not anxious to leave her for very long, but the idea of being able to go out to dinner with my hubby is very appealing.

I'll leave you with a few more pictures from our first month together. It has been the best and the hardest four weeks of my life. :)

1 comment:

Rachael said...

So sweet! I get to see her tonight. Yay! I am so glad she is feeling better.